Optimet’s ConoPoint-3 with an 85 mm lens was used to measure the profiles of plastic bottle lids.
The main measurement goal was related to the height, diameter and thickness of the lid and the screw bump dimensions. Optimet’s special collinear technology enabled measurement of the gap between inner and outer circles, as well as a variety of dimensions inside the lid, all with high lateral resolution.
The lid features measured were:
- Inner circle height
- Inner circle diameter
- Inner circle thickness
- Gap between inner circle and outer circle
- Outer circle diameter
- Screw bump radius
- Screw bump height above surface
1. Optimet's Advantages over Other Technologies:
1. Optimet’s conoscopic holography technology is optimal for plastic lid profile measurements due to the collinearity feature, enabling accurate measurements inside small gaps between higher features.
2. High lateral resolution
3. High sampling rate with no need for averaging
- A profile measurement of the plastic lid tilted at 45 degrees
- Measurement performed across the middle point of the lid (fig.1)
Sensor: ConoPoint-3 with an 85 mm lens and slit (fig.2).
Axis – X with 5 µm step.
Frequency – 1.5 kHz (Frequency can be increased if needed.)
3. Results and Observations
2D scan for orientation
- Inner circle height – 4.7304-4.7784 mm (depends on profile side).
- Inner circle diameter – 19.956 mm
- Inner circle thickness 1.215-1.285 mm (depends on profile side).
- Gap between inner circle and outer circle 1.085-1.14 mm (depends on profile side).
- Outer circle diameter – 26.245 mm
- Screw bump approximate radius – 0.6192 mm
- Screw bump height above surface – 1.034 mm
|Working Range (mm)
|Stand Off (mm)
|Max. Data Rate (KHz)
|Application Category || ‐ |
Download Plastic lids file (pdf)